Visit the Museum

The Fram Museum - before and now


The museum is located at Bygdøy, a short distance from the centre of Oslo and is easily reached by bus or, in the summer season, by ferry from the City Hall quayside. Our closest neighbours are the Kon-Tiki Museum and the Norwegian Maritime Museum. The Viking Ship Museum and the Norwegian Folk Museum are within 15 minutes walk. The Bygdøy peninsula is therefore popularly known as the museum peninsula. Bygdøy is one of Oslo´s main places to go.

The area itself is an attraction with, among other things, its rich hiking and recreational areas and the opportunities it provides for swimming in the sea. It is also home to His Majesty the King´s summer residence, Kongsgården.

The number of visitors has varied from 18 000 the year it opened down to 5000 during World War Two 1940-1945. After the war the number of visitors increased annually, and in 2009 we achieved the current record of 286 155 visitors. On August 5th 1999, the member of total visitors reached 10 million.

The main exhibition in the Fram building has explanatory texts in ten languages and describes the three great Fram expeditions.

You can enjoy a northern lights show every 20 minutes from the main deck of the Fram. In the activity centre behind the ship you can test your strength and accuracy.

In June 2013 we inaugurated our new Gjøa building, which is connected to the Fram with an underground tunnel. The centerpiece here is Gjøa, the first ship to navigate the whole of the Northwest Passage. There are brand new historical exhibitions on the expeditions of Gjøa and Maud, of the airplanes N24 and N25 as well as of the airship Norge, John Franklin's legendary expedition and those of Henry Larsen and Eivind Astrup.

We also present current issues facing the High North such as polar bears, ice melting, gas and oil etc. There is a 116 seats cinema showing a polar introduction movie every fifteen minutes.

Temporary exhibitions are made continually on different polar issues. In both buildings as well as in the tunnel, you will find objects from the different expeditions.

We have exclusive polar souvenirs in our shop and probably the world’s biggest polar book store with 220 different titles.


Norway is an Arctic nation. More than 40 % of its territory lies north of the Arctic Circle. Svalbard, Jan Mayen, Bjørnøya and many small islands are Norwegian territory. Norway claims approximately 2 million square kilometers of the Antarctic continent in the south. Bouvetøya is Norwegian territory. It is therefore natural that Norway has participated on many important expeditions to both the Arctic and the Antarctic. The Fram Museum contains exhibitions of the most famous voyages of global historical significance. The centerpiece of the museum is of course the world´s strongest wooden ship, the polar ship Fram. The public can go on board and take a look around in her cabins, lounges, cargo hold and engine room.


Fram returned from Buenos Aires in 1914 and was moored at Horten, exposed to wind and weather. After World War One, a number of committees worked on preserving the polar ship, but without results. The project´s strongest proponent, Otto Sverdrup, was elected chairman of the Fram Committee in 1925. He struggled on untiringly together with the committee´s members and several other key people for years. In 1929 Fram was towed to a shipyard, the Framnæs Mekaniske Verksted in Sandefjord. Here, under Otto Sverdrup´s supervision, the ship was repaired with the excellent support of Consul Lars Christensen.

In 1930 Fram was finally restored to the condition it was in during Otto Sverdrup´s expedition to the islands to the northwest of Greenland. Otto Sverdrup died in the same year as Fram participated on a large venue in Trondheim. It took a long time before she finally got a permanent home. In 1934 the Oslo Association of Architects offered to hold an architecture competition to design a building for the honoured vessel. Sixty entries were submitted and the winner was the architect Bjarne Tøien with his entry “Saga”. Fram was pulled into her new home by an electric motor. The ship moved one centimeter per minute. On May 20th 1936 the Fram Museum was finally opened. Both His Majesty King Haakon VII and His Royal Highness Crown Prince Olav were present. A national monument was finally in place.

Gjøa stood outside the Fram Museum for forty years before she finally had her own protection building in 2013. Before that she was exhibited on a beach in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.   

Welcome to a bigger and an even more exciting Fram Museum!

"Victory awaits him, who has everything in order - luck we call it.  Defeat is definitely due for him, who has neglected to take the necessary precautions - bad luck we call it"

Roald Amundsen

Home Contact Site Map Disclaimer

Copyright ©2016, The Fram Museum. All rights reserved.